Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Define "gift"...

Since it is now the gift-giving season, I thought I would share with you a gift I recently received in the mail. Remember when you were a teenager and all of the mail came for your parents? Remember how exciting it was to get a real, honest-to-God letter addressed to you? Or better yet, a surprise package with your name on it in the midst of all those credit card statements and junk mail for your dad? That's how I felt when I found this adorable addition to my own bill-filled mailbox. It did not have a company name on the return label -- simply an address. But it came in such a cute floral and polka-dotted box that I felt sort of silly because I was so anxious to see what was inside.

I really should have known better. But after all, I am an optimist. I try not to be cynical. I should have noticed that symbolically colored dot in the exclamation point. But I didn't. I just curiously opened the package, awaiting my surprise and the fitting gift just for me.

And what a cute play on words! I'm always up for a good pun. Fit to be tried! Hey, that's punny, right? So, what is this surprise that I can try? New shampoo? Body lotion? Cute miracle trouser socks that will make my feet hurt less at the end of each day? I opened the package with anticipation.

Ummmm...you are kidding, right?!?!? THIS is what passes as a "gift" these days? I mean, I know that times are tough, but seriously? Hmmph. Well, I guess I won't be re-gifting this one. All I know is it truly is better to give than to receive.

And just in case you are feeling like you just can't find that perfect present for someone, you will know that -- unless you give the one pictured above -- your gift-giving efforts are bound to be more appreciated than this "gift" was.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my that is hilarious.
I wonder if any men receive condoms via the mail... It seems only fair doncha think?
Love,
K.

Kelly said...

I literally laughed out loud so hard that Jake came in to my office to see what was so funny. He didn't quite see the humor. ;)

Lisa said...

Hey those things are expensive! Be glad you got that gift (I guess). Much funner mail than me (sorry for the grammar).

P.S. One of those moms does own that company for the clothes. I think I can see their Spring Line this week. Hoping to work out a deal to get discount on clothes for some pics for their company. :-) Baby Girl needs to be better dressed than my Old Navy boys.

Gemma said...

OMG. That is too funny.
Poor you--- all geared up for a nice little "crize!" Oh well, free is free, I guess...

peggy said...

Hillarious!

Amy Jo said...

ha ha. That is really funny! I would have been dissapointed for sure. Have you ever gotten those free Pampers in the mail? Pampers sent just one, and it wasn't the right size for my kid at the time, so it was a really annoying gift to stash away. But how could I throw away a diaper?

Lisa said...

fyi - I got one of these "gifts" in the mail this week. It actually came at the right time and truly was a good gift to me. (I am very easy to please).