Sunday, January 13, 2008

Reading is FUNdamental

This has become my new favorite book. Let me take you back to a glorious time ...oh, one whole week ago. Every night, Connor and I would read books (or "bookies" and he often says) until his bedtime. It was a time-honored tradition. It was fun. It was meaningful. It was one of the best parts of my day. And now, it might be over. Okay, I am being a bit dramatic, but he now realizes that the beginning of "book time" signals the beginning of "bedtime." He screams, kicks, he runs around in circles taunting me as I try to entice him with a favorite story. Once I get him to engage in the story, I usually have him. But I never had to be this creative to trick my little one into reading before. He loved it as much as I did. The above story is a cute one: Mommy tries to figure out what in the world is troubling her little Pookie (sidenote: that is the nickname Eric and I use for each other....awww). The mommy in the book makes up all kinds of silly things that could be bothering her little guy, but he keeps insisting "no," and she finally begs him to tell her why he is so upset. Little Pookie's reply: "Um...I forget." I know Connor might forget all his tantrum-like behavior once we begin reading his books, but it still makes me sad. It's one more thing that reminds me that he is no longer a little baby, even though he will always be my little baby.

2 comments:

Anderson Family said...

I just saw that you have started a blog also. It is nice to read about other families with 2 boys and the chaos that surrounds them!

Kelly said...

Funny enough, Jake is just now staying still long enough for us to be able to read him a story at bedtime. Previously, he wanted to just run away with the book and read it his darn self!